Fire extinguishers

We have 32 clinics (business occupancies) where clients are seen. Must fire extinguishers be checked at 30 day intervals?

We also have five residential (24/7) facilities. Must fire extinguishers be checked at 30 day intervals in these facilities?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Connie S. Chappelle RN, MN, CLNC (Certified Legal Nurse Consultant)
4165 Apple Ridge Road
Sedalia MO 65301
660-473-1378
Email: chappel@iland.net

Comments

• edited July 2016
    YES to both questions! NFPA 10 requires they be inspected at
    approximately 30 day intervals. We use the month and year on the card,
    i.e.. 03-2010, 04-2010 & etc.

Gerald V. Austin, CHSP, RSO, RHSO
    Safety Officer ll
    North Texas State Hospital (Vernon)
    email: gerald.austin@dshs.state.tx.us
    phone: 940-552-4034
  • edited July 2016
    YES - according to NFPA they must be checked every 30 days - don't forget to
    date and initial the back of the tag. Also, I would include those
    maintained in any cars.

Leah Guthrie, RN, BA
    Director, Quality Improvement/Risk Management
    Patient Safety Officer
    Renaissance Behavioral Health Systems, Inc.
    P.O. Box 19249, Jacksonville, Florida 32245-9249
    Telephone: (904) 743-1883 ext. 7106
  • The OSHA Healthcare Advisor Tools page has a free, downloadable Fire Extinguisher Monthly Check Diagram. Go to http://blogs.hcpro.com/osha/products/.

David

David LaHoda
    Managing Editor
    Medical Environment Update
    and OSHA Program Manual
    303/926-4340

Visit OSHA Healthcare Advisor
  • NFPA 10. Section 6.1.3.3.3 Signs must be visible from normal path of travel
    Section 6.1.3.10.2. (Section for cabinets). The location of the FE ...must be marked conspicuously.

We use the tent signs. I don't think the flat signs will pass muster as they are not conspicuous or visible in a corridor (path of travel)

Martin Jarzombek

> On Feb 1, 2017, at 3:20 PM, Owens, Tammy L wrote:
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the direction as to how we define “appropriate signage” for fire extinguishers?
    > Are only the cone shaped signs above the extinguishers acceptable, will we get cited for the flat signs? Some of ours don’t have any signs at all.
    >
    > Thank you and have a good day,
    > Please contact me if I can be of further assistance.
    >
    > Tammy Owens RN, MSN
    > Director of Accreditation Services
    > Wise Health System Decatur,TX
    > (940) 626-3856
    >
    >
    > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521 and is legally privileged. This communication may also contain material protected and governed by the Health insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). This e-mail is only for the personal and confidential use of the individuals to which it is addressed and contains confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you have received this document in error, and that any reading, distributing, copying or disclosure is unauthorized. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by the telephone number above and destroy the message.
    > ---
    > JCAHO-WATCH is a free service sponsored by DecisionHealth. JCAHO-Watch is 100% independent and is in no way affiliated with the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, the trademark holder of JCAHO and Joint Commission.
    > To access the web interface, go to http://www.decisionhealth.com/jcaho-watch and enter your e-mail address. Click on the My Account tab and then the Advanced tab to set or change your password. Click on the Essentials tab and Membership Type to set the way you want to access list messages. To read messages on the web interface only, set Membership Type to “no mail.” To see the archive of past messages, click on the Messages tab and the Show More button. To view the chat forum, click on the Conference tab. To unsubscribe, click on the My Forums tab.
    > You are currently subscribed to jcaho-watch as:Mjarzombek@ca.rr.com. To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-2806348-23993353.29e3d8b73ae79649371875655b314ada@lyris.ucg.com

--Apple-Mail-7EEEE3AB-7254-4A3F-B594-0F1B4D53DE2D
    Content-Type: text/html;
    charset=utf-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

NFPA 10.  Section 6.1.3.3.3 Signs must be visible from normal path of travelSection 6.1.3.10.2.  (Section for cabinets).  The location of the FE ...must be marked conspicuously.
    We use the tent signs.  I don't think the flat signs will pass muster as they are not conspicuous or visible in a corridor (path of travel)

Martin Jarzombek
    On Feb 1, 2017, at 3:20 PM, Owens, Tammy L <towens@wisehealthsystem.com> wrote:

Can anyone point me in the direction as to how we define “appropriate signage” for fire extinguishers?

Are only the cone shaped signs above the extinguishers acceptable, will we get cited for the flat signs? Some of ours don’t have any signs at all.

Thank you and have a good day,

Please contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Tammy Owens RN, MSN

Director of Accreditation Services

Wise Health System Decatur,TX

(940) 626-3856

<image001.png>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521 and is legally privileged. This communication may also contain material protected and governed by the Health insurance Portability and Accountability
    Act of 1996 (HIPAA). This e-mail is only for the personal and confidential use of the individuals to which it is addressed and contains confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you have received this document in
    error, and that any reading, distributing, copying or disclosure is unauthorized. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by the telephone number above and destroy the message.

---
    JCAHO-WATCH is a free service sponsored by DecisionHealth. JCAHO-Watch is 100% independent and is in no way affiliated with the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, the trademark holder of JCAHO and Joint Commission.
    To access the web interface, go to http://www.decisionhealth.com/jcaho-watch and enter your e-mail address. Click on the My Account tab and then the Advanced tab to set or change your password. Click on the Essentials tab and Membership Type to set the way you want to access list messages. To read messages on the web interface only, set Membership Type to “no mail.” To see the archive of past messages, click on the Messages tab and the Show More button. To view the chat forum, click on the Conference tab. To unsubscribe, click on the My Forums tab.
    You are currently subscribed to jcaho-watch as:Mjarzombek@ca.rr.com. To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-2806348-23993353.29e3d8b73ae79649371875655b314ada@lyris.ucg.com

--Apple-Mail-7EEEE3AB-7254-4A3F-B594-0F1B4D53DE2D--
  • Thanks so much!

Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 12:09 AM
    To: Multiple recipients of list JCAHO-WATCH
    Subject: Re: [jcaho-watch] Fire Extinguishers

NFPA 10. Section 6.1.3.3.3 Signs must be visible from normal path of travel
    Section 6.1.3.10.2. (Section for cabinets). The location of the FE ...must be marked conspicuously.

We use the tent signs. I don't think the flat signs will pass muster as they are not conspicuous or visible in a corridor (path of travel)

Martin Jarzombek

On Feb 1, 2017, at 3:20 PM, Owens, Tammy L wrote:
    Can anyone point me in the direction as to how we define “appropriate signage” for fire extinguishers?
    Are only the cone shaped signs above the extinguishers acceptable, will we get cited for the flat signs? Some of ours don’t have any signs at all.

Thank you and have a good day,
    Please contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Tammy Owens RN, MSN
    Director of Accreditation Services
    Wise Health System Decatur,TX
    (940) 626-3856

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521 and is legally privileged. This communication may also contain material protected and governed by the Health insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). This e-mail is only for the personal and confidential use of the individuals to which it is addressed and contains confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you have received this document in error, and that any reading, distributing, copying or disclosure is unauthorized. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by the telephone number above and destroy the message.

---

JCAHO-WATCH is a free service sponsored by DecisionHealth. JCAHO-Watch is 100% independent and is in no way affiliated with the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, the trademark holder of JCAHO and Joint Commission.

To access the web interface, go to http://www.decisionhealth.com/jcaho-watch and enter your e-mail address. Click on the My Account tab and then the Advanced tab to set or change your password. Click on the Essentials tab and Membership Type to set the way you want to access list messages. To read messages on the web interface only, set Membership Type to “no mail.” To see the archive of past messages, click on the Messages tab and the Show More button. To view the chat forum, click on the Conference tab. To unsubscribe, click on the My Forums tab.

You are currently subscribed to jcaho-watch as:Mjarzombek@ca.rr.com. To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-2806348-23993353.29e3d8b73ae79649371875655b314ada@lyris.ucg.com

---

To access the web interface, go to http://www.decisionhealth.com/jcaho-watch and enter your e-mail address. Click on the My Account tab and then the Advanced tab to set or change your password. Click on the Essentials tab and Membership Type to set the way you want to access list messages. To read messages on the web interface only, set Membership Type to �no mail.� To see the archive of past messages, click on the Messages tab and the Show More button. To view the chat forum, click on the Conference tab. To unsubscribe, click on the My Forums tab.

You are currently subscribed to jcaho-watch as:towens@wisehealthsystem.com. To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-2806373-24021849.9b866a8b0f00bdc4b4b2dc373c3cff83@lyris.ucg.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521 and is legally privileged. This communication may also contain material protected and governed by the Health insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). This e-mail is only for the personal and confidential use of the individuals to which it is addressed and contains confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you have received this document in error, and that any reading, distributing, copying or disclosure is unauthorized. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by the telephone number above and destroy the message.